Warsaw may compensate businesses for Belarus border closure – minister

September 12, Pozirk. Warsaw may consider compensating Polish industry for losses caused by the closure of the border with Belarus, Polish Interior Minister Marcin Kierwiński has told journalists.
He made that statement last night at the Terespol-Brest border checkpoint, which Polish authorities closed in connection with the Zapad-2025 drill in Belarus, involving Russian troops, that started today and is scheduled to draw to a close on September 16.
Businesses may be affected by border closure, yet the safety of the Polish citizens is the government’s priority, he said.
Kierwiński stressed that border closure is not directly linked to the Zapad-2025 timeframe. Cross-border traffic will resume only when Warsaw is fully confident that there are no threats, he noted in apparent reference to the recent incident involving unprecedented Russian drone incursions.
Recently, Russia has been displaying aggressive behavior towards Poland with the Zapad-2025 maneuvers directly aimed against both Poland and the European Union, the minister said, noting that Russian and Belarusian armies practice aggressive scenarios against Poland.
Yesterday, Poland and Latvia temporarily restricted flights along their eastern borders ahead of the drill that is expected to involve around 8,000 troops in Belarus, including 2,000 Russians. Minsk has not disclosed the number of participants.
Earlier this week, Lithuania announced additional measures to beef up security at its borders with Belarus and Russia during the exercise.

- Politics, SportBelarusian, Russian figure skaters barred from World ChampionshipsThe material is available only to POZIRK+
- PoliticsCrackdown on Belarusian publishers reported in MinskThe material is available only to POZIRK+
- Politics
- Society, Sport
- Society
- Society
- PoliticsPolitically motivated convictions reported in Minsk, HrodnaThe material is available only to POZIRK+
- Politics, SecurityBelarus says it downs drones as Kyiv accuses Minsk of aiding Russian attacksThe material is available only to POZIRK+
- PoliticsMinsk to negotiate visa free travel to Saudi Arabia for officialsThe material is available only to POZIRK+
- Economy, PoliticsBelarus holds 496 Lithuanian trucks, 575 semi-trailers - LINAVAThe material is available only to POZIRK+
- Economy, Security, SocietyThree men jailed in Lithuania for smuggling cigarettes from BelarusThe material is available only to POZIRK+
- PoliticsKGB adds eight to list of terroristsThe material is available only to POZIRK+
- EconomyVacancies for foreigners rise by nearly 17 percent in Belarus over a monthThe material is available only to POZIRK+
- Security, SocietyLithuania turns nine African migrants back to BelarusThe material is available only to POZIRK+
- Politics, SecurityConscription-age men given 24 hours to report for military trainingThe material is available only to POZIRK+
- PoliticsFaction Biełarusy quits Coordination CouncilThe material is available only to POZIRK+
- PoliticsOpposition leader urges OSCE PA to establish working group on BelarusThe material is available only to POZIRK+
- Economy
- PoliticsEU Delegation welcomes Statkievič’s release, urges Minsk to free all jailed dissidentsThe material is available only to POZIRK+
- Politics



